Musa Asy'arie Fellowships
CALL FOR APPLICANTS
ISLAM, DEMOCRACY, AND MULTICULTURALISM
Multiculturalism, Muslim and Citizenship
Islam and democracy is unfinished academic debate. This is directly related to Indonesia since Indonesia is the biggest Muslim and multicultural country in the world that has successfully initiated democratization since 1998. However, several problems have still arisen in democracy Muslim countries such as corruption, intolerance, recognition to minority group, state capacity in public services, neutrality of state and discrimination. In the Middle East, for instance, it is interesting to find that all democratic countries are collapse, except monarchy state. Such phenomenon leads Islamic groups of these countries and sub-regions to face internal debates on whether or not Islamic theological ideas is compatible with modern political ideas such as democracy, religion-state separation, and religious toleration/pluralism. In addition, many Islamic groups are facing challenges from both authoritarian rules and hostile state apparatus which often repress Islamic political movements because of their tendencies to promote secession from the state. Muhammadiyah as one of the biggest Muslim organizations in the worlds has dealt with such issues to explore whether Islamic groups have the potential to change their theological frames and be more progressive theological reforms which lead to moderate their political orientations.
- To explore the applications of Islamic values in democracy.
- To contribute theories and applied researches through comparative studies in the world region
- To publish researches that speak in transformative ways on diverse or multicultural countries
- To fill missing gaps in humanity and social science perspectives
MUSA ASY’ARIE FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
AHMAD SYAFII MAARIF SCHOOL OF POLITICAL THOUGHT AND HUMANITY
GRADUATE SCHOOL OF
UNIVERSITAS MUHAMMADIYAH YOGYAKARTA
- Master Degree (social studies, sociology, political science, Islamic studies, public administration, political economics, anthropology)
- Cumulative Index 3,50
- Toefl Score 500 (for non-English Country) or IELTS 6 (for English Country), and/or preferably Mastering Arabic Language
- 2 Candidates ( 1 Indonesian and 1 Foreigner)
- Proposal Draft of Dissertation (more than 4000 words, consist of background, research question, literature review, theoretical framework, research methodology) in English/Indonesian.
- 2 Recommendation Letters
- Curriculum Vitae
- Latest Two Publications (Journal or Book)
- not more than 35 years old in January 2017
- All documents are in PDF and sent to email@example.com
Musa Asy’arie Fellowship Program, Ahmad Syafii Maarif (ASM) School Universitas Muhammadiyah Yogyakarta guarantees full tuition fees ($1000) and a stipend ($200/month), one way air flight to Yogyakarta from home country, for its regularly enrolled, degree-seeking Ph.D. candidates for three years of regular program enrollment, contingent upon satisfactory academic performance. The defined Ph.D. program length is generally three years. Explore our website and learn more about applying to the Graduate School.
Application Form can be downloaded here
Dr. Mega Hidayati